M³ (Mutual Mentorship for Musicians) is a platform created to empower, elevate, normalize and give visibility to women and non-binary musicians and those of other historically underrepresented gender identities in intersection with race, sexuality, or ability across generations in the US and worldwide, through a radical model of mentorship and musical collaborative commissions.
By supporting artistic excellence through each cohort, M³ creates expandable music communities, while developing sustained lucrative career opportunities for women and non-binary musicians in the industry, in particular for women and non-binary musicians of color. By building a non-hierarchical and intergenerational paradigm of mentorship, M³ celebrates a global network of artists, providing a think tank for new ways to connect, collaborate, perform, support and create.
- Reciprocal intergenerational exchange of knowledge and experience
- Formation of new collaborations with musicians outside of one’s inner circle, fostering a creative global network
- Cultivation of new practices, ideas and formats for solo and collaborative performance, both live and/or virtual
- Building alternative structures with artists at the helm
- Expansion of an artist’s creative skill set
- Publication of written articles as part of our legacy
M³‘s Goals are:
- Increased Fees for Cohort Musicians: addressing the persistent issue of pay inequity between the fees of men versus women/non-binary musicians.
That manifest in our 4 major activities:
- Artist Commissions
- Annual M³ Anthology
- Annual M³ Festival
- Lifetime Achievement Award honoring the elders from our cohorts.